Friday, March 16, 2018

With My Hands

With My Hands: Poems About Making Things. Amy Ludwig VanDerwater.  Illustrated by Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson. 2018. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am a maker.

Premise/plot: With My Hands is a themed collection of poems by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. The theme of the collection is "making things." What kinds of things? All sorts. Not just artsy things like drawings, paintings, cards, and collages. But all sorts. For example, I wasn't expecting a poem about soap carving or making shadow puppets on the wall! I think there is enough variety to inspire and encourage every young reader to say I want to try that!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this collection very much. It celebrates creativity in all its forms. And it captures the joy of play and creation. I had a few favorite poems in this one. I thought "Card" was a sweet poem celebrating a child's love for his/her dad. (The poem is written in first person. The speaker could be a girl or a boy. But the illustration is of a boy.) But my favorite poem is "Mess."

Mess
Yes. It's a mess.
Do not let it distress you.
I'm making a project
that might just impress you.
Projects are messy--
all makers agree.
And the messiest maker
of projects is....me.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that poem because it is so me.

I think this book would pair well with Peter Reynold's Happy Dreamer.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Amy LV said...

Thank you so much for reviewing our book, Becky! We mess makers need to stick together. :) Happy making! xx