Monday, December 18, 2017

Among the Enemy

Among the Enemy. (Shadow Children #6) Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2005. 240 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Matthias was sound asleep when the Population Police arrived at Niedler School.

Premise/plot: Among the Enemy is the sixth book in Margaret Peterson Haddix' Shadow Children series. Haddix rarely has the same narrator twice in this series. The narrator of this one is Matthias. (We've met him before in book three, Among the Betrayed.) He's still protective of Percy and Alia so when all three are taken into custody by the Population Police--along with all the other students--he feels responsible for anything and everything that goes wrong in their attempt to escape. He feels he must do something to help--if not Percy and Alia--then ALL the other shadow children whose lives are being threatened every day by the enemy. How can he best help them? Ultimately by going among them--becoming one of them, learning their plans, passing along information to the rebels.

My thoughts: Matthias is a complex character. I loved him. I did. I think he's one of my favorite characters in the series. I love his sensitivity, his thoughtfulness, his bravery. I love how quick-paced Haddix's novels are as well. I'm so glad I decided to reread this series.
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: