Monday, October 09, 2017

This Beautiful Day

This Beautiful Day. Richard Jackson. Illustrated by Suzy Lee. 2017. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This beautiful day...has everyone dancing and spinning and swinging around, has all of us stamping and stomping our feet on the ground...

Premise/plot: Readers see what one family does on a rainy day. This book answers the question, "Can rainy days be beautiful?!"

My thoughts: I liked this one. I definitely liked it. But it's not a book best appreciated with a brief, quick scan. This is a book that demands your fuller attention. I noticed so much more the second time I read it. I can only imagine that a few more times will bring even more detail to my attention. For example, notice the endpapers. The opening endpapers are black, white, and gray--a stormy day indeed. The closing endpapers are a huge contrast: we see a beautiful BLUE sky with a happy-happy family running, jumping, playing.

The illustrations make this one WONDERFUL. Without a doubt the illustrations make a good book, GREAT. I love how expressive and lively the illustrations are.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: