Friday, September 08, 2017

Sister Day!

Sister Day! Lisa Mantchev. Illustrated by Sonia Sanchez. 2017. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: My big sister, Jane, has the best imagination. She makes up all kinds of things out of her very own head. "Want to dress up and pretend something?" "Not right now, Lizzie," says Jane. "Tell me a story?" I ask. "The one where I'm not really your sister because you found me in the garden under a rock." "I can't," she says. "I'm going to Emma's house for a play date." "When you get home?" I ask. "Maybe when I get home."

Premise/plot: This book celebrates sisters. Specifically, readers meet Jane and Lizzie, the two sisters starring in this lovely new book by Lisa Mantchev. Lizzie misses spending time with Jane, and, so she marks a special day on the calendar to celebrate with her sister. Readers see Lizzie hard at work to make the day super-super special.

My thoughts: I loved this one. Mantchev has mastered the show don't tell philosophy of writing. I can read so many emotions, feelings, and experiences into this one. I'm a younger sister. I wonder if Lisa Mantchev is an Austen fan? If a love for Austen led her to naming the two sisters Jane and Lizzie. And I noticed the friend was named Emma. It could all be coincidence of course.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: