Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Fruits in Suits

Fruits in Suits. Jared Chapman. 2017. Abrams. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I wear a suit. You wear a suit. There are all kinds of suits.

Premise/plots: This book is a follow-up to Vegetables in Underwear. This newest book features fruit in suits--swimming suits. One fruit, a grapefruit, first appears in a suit-suit, a business suit. Throughout the book, he appears sour, disgruntled. Eventually, he decides to lighten up a bit and put on a swimming suit instead.

My thoughts: The illustrations are bright, bold, and SILLY. I'd also say expressive. I really liked the strawberry that is pictured with pigtails. (That is her green leaves are styled into pigtails). The text is well-suited to the illustrations. Though I must admit quite dependent on the illustrations. Without the zany illustrations, the text would be a bit dull. I like that this one is not text-heavy. It's a quick read to keep even the shortest attention spans.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: