Tuesday, July 25, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (July)

The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.

The Wretched. Victor Hugo. Translated by Christine Donougher. 1862/2013. 1456 pages. [Source: Bought]

This is actually Les Miserables. I've been reading this one all month for Paris in July. I had hoped to finish it this month. But. It's not looking likely. I am 44% done. I do LOVE the book.

The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old. Hendrik Groen. Translated by Hester Velmans. 2014/2017. 384 pages. [Source: Library]

This one had me at hello: "Another year, and I still don't like old people. Their walker shuffle, their unreasonable impatience, their endless complaints, their tea and cookies, their bellyaching. Me? I am eighty-three years old." I'm 39% done.

The Wooden Prince. (Out of Abaton #1) John Claude Bemis. 2016. 312 pages. [Source: Library]

This is a Pinocchio retelling in a fascinating fantasy world.  I am 86% done.

It Can't Happen Here. Sinclair Lewis. 1935/2005. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

Ever wondered what would happen if a racist, sexist, egotistical man was elected to the office of President of the United States? This dystopia was written in 1935. It was set in 1936. And Lewis' novel featured real people and fictional people. I am 56% done.

Great Expectations. Charles Dickens. 1860/2016. Macmillan Collector's Library. 640 pages. [Source: Library]

I am enjoying it so far! 46% done.


Learning to Love the Psalms. W. Robert Godfrey. 2017. Reformation Trust. 318 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I spent a week listening to W. Robert Godfrey's teaching series on Church History. I was so excited to get the chance to review his newest book. And it's on the PSALMS! (I am 13% done.)

An Exposition of Psalm 119. Thomas Manton. 2025 pages. [Source: Bought]
I have been LOVING this one. I don't always do a great job in reading a sermon or two a week, but I am 28% done. My next sermon will be on Psalm 119:39, "Sermon 44."

City of God. Augustine. 1097 pages. [Source: Bought]

I started reading this one in February, took several months off, and then started reading it again this July. I am 57% done. I'm about to start book 15.




© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

Quite an eclectic list! I loved Les Mis, despite it's length and the rabbit trails. The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen sounds fun. I need to read Augustine some time. I'm a little intimidated by him, but I think it would be worthwhile to read him.