Saturday, July 29, 2017

Tea with Grandpa

Tea with Grandpa. Barney Saltzberg. 2014. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Every day at half past three...Me and Grandpa. Time for Tea. I can pour so carefully. Grandpa holds his cup for me.

Premise/plot: What you see is what you get...or is it?! Every day a little girl and her grandpa have tea together. The book shares what they do every day at tea time: tell stories, laugh and joke, sing and dance. What the book waits a while to reveal....is....that the grandpa and the little girl are not "together" for tea time. They are communicating via computer.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I love the illustrations. So simple yet so emotionally genuine or expressive. I like the message that you don't have to be in the same room with someone to be with them in spirit. There are many ways to stay in touch with your loved ones. This tea-time ritual being one way to stay connected.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: