Tuesday, April 25, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (April)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.

Good news! I finished the NIV Tozer Bible, The Three Clerks, Oliver Twist, Here I Stand, and Gosnell. All of these books appeared on March's nightstand post.

Reformation Heritage Study Bible--KJV. Edited by  Joel R. Beeke, Gerald Bilkes, and Michael Barrett. 2014. Reformation Heritage Books. 2218 pages. [Source: Birthday Gift in 2014]

Ginger is helping me out once again in introducing my newest Bible reading project. This is my fourth Bible to select as project this year. I am LOVING it. You can read about my initial impressions at Operation Actually Read Bible.

Prisoner's Base. (Nero Wolfe) Rex Stout. 1952. 209 pages. [Source: Bought]

I was looking for something to walk to and put my Nero Wolfe series in the DVD. I fell in love with Archie Goodwin--swoon--almost immediately. I questioned WHY I had ever taken a break from reading and rereading this series. OR watching and rewatching the series. I might be tempted to reread all the ones I own.

Doctor Thorne. Anthony Trollope. 1858. 522 pages. [Source: Bought]

Yes, I'm still tackling Anthony Trollope chronologically. This is a re-read.

Dawn's Early Light. Elswyth Thane. 1934/2017. Chicago Review Press. 336 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I am really excited to start this series. I've only read the last in the series (Williamsburg is the name of the series), and that was in high school--twenty-something years ago. (It was the only one in the series the school library had.)

An Exposition of Psalm 119. Thomas Manton. 2025 pages. [Source: Bought]

Still enjoying this one. I try to read a sermon or two per week.

Matthew: All Authority in Heaven and On Earth. Douglas Sean O'Donnell. 2013. 1090 pages. [Source: Bought]

I've been reading this commentary since February. I am making some progress. I think I'm around Matthew 16 or Matthew 17. So I'm hopeful that another month will see it done. If I can stay consistent!





© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Lisa notes... said...

I’ve not heard of the Nero Wolfe series but you make it sound like something I should tune into! :) Thanks for sharing your list here. You’ve got a good variety going.