Thursday, April 07, 2016

I Didn't Do It

I Didn't Do It. Patricia MacLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest. Illustrated by Katy Schneider. 2010. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

I Didn't Do It is a picture book collection of dog-themed poems. Or perhaps I should say puppy-themed poems. If you're thinking it's adorable, you're right. It is. Now, I love cats more than dogs. But the illustrations and poems combined got to me, I must admit!

The poems include:
  • "Shhh...I'm Here"
  • "No Name"
  • "Rules"
  • "What I Don't Like"
  • "What I Like"
  • "I Didn't Do It"
  • "Rain"
  • "What Did I Do??"
  • "Big"
  • "Pretty Puppy"
  • "She Flies"
  • "One Thing, One Time"
  • "Puppy Dreams"
  • "Every Night"
If you've got a reluctant poetry reader who happens to love dogs, this may be an excellent 'exception' to the rule. I love it when books surprise you. I do think there are plenty of exceptions when it comes to books.

The poems are written by a mother-daughter team. Patricia MacLachlan you've heard of most likely. I've read a lot of her books for younger readers. Though I didn't know she wrote poetry. Plenty of MacLachlan's books reveal a love of animals.

I really enjoyed the illustrations. Some spreads I love more than others. But overall, a very cute book.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: