Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What's On Your Nightstand (May)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
Julie. Catherine Marshall. 1984. 381 pages. [Source: Bought]

I've read Catherine Marshall's Christy half a dozen times--at least. (I reviewed it just last week).  But I've never read her other novel, Julie.  It is reminding me of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. At least superficially. Julie's family moves to a "mill town" after the father leaves his ministry behind, and there are some class issues going on between the owners and the workers, and talk of strikes. I am enjoying it so far.

Far Side of Evil. Sylvia Engdahl. 1971/2003. Penguin. 336 pages. [Source: Library]

If the author didn't make such a point of this book not being a sequel to Enchantress From the Stars, I would simply say that this is Elana's second mission on a "youngling" planet. But the book isn't exactly dependent on Enchantress From the Stars, and, it is much darker overall. I am finding it a compelling read, even, if it isn't as magical for me as the first book.

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography. Laura Ingalls Wilder. Edited by Pamela Smith Hill. 2014. South Dakota State Historical State Society. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

I have been waiting for months to read this book! It is an absorbing, engaging read. At first I wasn't sure that I'd read each and every footnote, but, now that I've started the book, I can't imagine not reading all the notes! It is a slow process perhaps, but an enjoyable one! I can't wait to get to the section of the autobiography that is covered in the Long Winter. That being said, I can't believe that the family gave away Jack (the dog) and left him in Kansas?! I wasn't expecting that!!!

The Semi-Detached House. Emily Eden. 1859. 172 pages. [Source: Bought]

I'm enjoying this romantic comedy so far. The heroine is renting a country house--a semi-detached house--while her husband is away on business. Even before she was pregnant, she was the nervous, easily agitated sort. But being separated from her husband isn't helpful! Her sister is staying with her, and, she's beginning to make a few new friends... This one has potential.



© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

I had never heard of Julie. It does sound very much like North and South. Maybe I will check it out some time after I finish Christy. The Semi-Detached House sounds good, too. I'm looking forward to Prairie Girl and am glad to hear that about the footnotes. I figured I would be reading them anyway but I am glad to know they're interesting.