Monday, November 26, 2012

Revisiting Catching Fire and Mockingjay

I decided to reread The Hunger Games so I could watch the movie, after reading the first book in the series, I just had to finish the whole trilogy. It was my first time to reread any of the books in the series. Some things I remembered--the Quarter Quell twist--other things not as well (the fate of some of the characters). 

Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins. 2009. Scholastic. 400 pages.

I may love Catching Fire even more than The Hunger Games. Perhaps just because I already care about Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, Cinna, etc. Or perhaps just because it introduces Finnick!!! This is a book that definitely surprised me the first time I read it, and it was great to finally get the chance to reread it after a few years. I think it was even more enjoyable. The Quarter Quell (75) Hunger Games definitely are intense, and very very very different from the Games from the first book. I also REALLY appreciated the brief glimpse of the other games, particularly the hunger games that Haymitch won. I wouldn't mind learning even more about him and about other victors and their games. 

Mockingjay. Suzanne Collins. 2010. Scholastic. 400 pages.   

Mockingjay is so different from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. In a way, this is a book all about consequences and sacrifices. And as you might expect, rebellion, violence, and death. All three books are that life-or-death dramatic, this one is no exception. In some ways this one is even more intense because of who is involved and what is at stake. But. It is not a fun read. There's hardly a scene to be enjoyed--it's a matter of enduring so you can know what happens next...

I am glad I reread the series. I think watching the movie helped me get back to the books.

Read The Hunger Games trilogy:
  • If you like twist-and-turns in action-packed dystopias
  • If you enjoy dystopias with or without love triangles 
  • If you like intense action and don't mind violence
© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I haven't seen the movie yet. I might have to revisit the book myself.I just haven't been reading much lately.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I did the exact same thing! I re-read Hunger Games before the movie came out and then I had to re-read the whole series. I actually posted on Catching Fire today! It is my favorite and I think it's mainly for some of the reasons you mentioned, already being attached to the characters and learning more about the history of Panem and the Hunger Games. Great reviews!

Tinkernote K said...

Nice review! I as well re-read the books before watching the movie. Out of the three novels, I like Mockingjay the least, but Catching Fire the most because not only are we attached to the characters, but there are events that build on what happened in the first book.
I just started a book review blog a while ago, if you want to check it out at honeycombreads.blogspot.com I'd be grateful :) thank you