Friday, November 23, 2012

Almost Home (MG)

Almost Home. Joan Bauer. 2012. Penguin. 240 pages.

 Even though this one has a dog on the cover, I knew I had to read it because it is Joan Bauer. I trust Bauer. I do. I trust her books to be good...if not great. Almost Home did not disappoint. It was a compelling read, an emotional one. For the heroine, Sugar Mae Cole, goes through some tough things. She's such a wonderful, lovable heroine. I loved the fact that writing was one of the ways she coped, loved to see her writing and sharing poetry, loved the fact that she was able to stay connected with her sixth grade teacher, Mr. Bennett, during her struggles. Since her grandfather died (loved reading her memories of him), things have not been easy for Sugar and her mom, they've been struggling with their finances for most of the year, and finally the worst happens: they lose their home. Readers don't often get to see glimpses of homeless life, of life in and out of shelters, though sometimes readers get a glimpse of life for kids in foster homes, but we get to see a bit of both in this one. (For after one last big disappointment, Sugar does end up in foster care.)

I thought the writing was amazing. I just loved it. And I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the characterization. This one is RICH in minor characters which is always a bonus. I would definitely recommend this one....even if you don't trust dog books.


Read Almost Home
  • If you enjoy children's books
  • If you enjoy coming of age stories
  • If you're looking for heroines who write creatively 
  • If you like dog books, if you don't like dog books
  • If you're looking for books about foster care 
  • If you're looking for books about friendship and making your own family

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

Cute cover!!