Thursday, November 03, 2011

Dumb Witness

Dumb Witness. Agatha Christie. 1937. HarperCollins. 320 pages.

Miss Arundell died on May 1st.

Dare I say it? I think I like Hercule Poirot! I always always thought I'd prefer Miss Marple to Poirot. And maybe I've just been finding exceptions the past few reads, or maybe I'm just REALLY in a mood for Christie, but I just LOVED Dumb Witness!!! It just felt so right when I was reading it.

So Hercule Poirot receives a letter from an old woman, a potential client. She suspects someone in her family--one of her nieces or nephews, or perhaps it's great-nephews and great-nieces?--of trying to kill her. There is something about her accident--her tumble down the stairs in the middle of the night--that doesn't feel right at all.

Circumstances being what they are, this letter isn't mailed until after Miss Emily Arundell has died. Did the would-be murderer try again? Or was her death by natural causes after all? Or are there two murderers in the family? Hercule Poirot could walk away from the case, his client is dead, but if he did....he wouldn't be Hercule Poirot!

I love Agatha Christie. I really enjoyed this one!

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oooh, haven't read this one, yet, but I do love ehr other stuff. Cool!

canadian geek said...

The story looks cool and it gives me some thrill to read it.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Oh, I love Poirot and Miss Marple. They each have their own unique and fun personalities. Christie wrote such quirky, sometimes plucky characters. I've enjoyed the film/tv adaptations of her work for years but have only recently discovered how much I enjoy her actual novels.