Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fall Into Reading Challenge Completed

 Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?

I listed ten books for this reading challenge. I read eight of them.

Desiree: The Bestselling Story of Napoleon's First Love by Annemarie Selinko. Sourcebooks. October 2010. 608 pages.
Elizabeth, Captive Princess: Two Sisters, One Throne. Margaret Irwin. Sourcebooks. October 2010. 352 pages.
Passionate Brood. Margaret Campbell Barnes. October 2010. Sourcebooks. 368 pages.
Bleak House. Charles Dickens. 1852-1853. 912 pages.
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. 1868. 544 pages.
Reckless by Cornelia Funke. 2010. Little, Brown. 394 pages.
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. 2010. Scholastic. 390 pages.
Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 496 pages.

The two I didn't read were Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson and The Dragon's Apprentice by James A. Owen.

Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?

I did not change my list.

What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?

My favorite would probably be The Moonstone or Bleak House. I just LOVED these two!  My least favorite was probably Desiree by Annemarie Selinko. It dragged (for me) in places. And I felt it was much too long. Passionate Brood got boring too, but, at least it was short.


Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?

I couldn't honestly say this was my first time reading Charles Dickens. I mean, I've technically read Great Expectations twice. Even though I blocked it out (after test time) both times. And I've read A Christmas Carol, too, but this is the first "real" Dickens that I've read where I enjoyed losing myself in the story. And actually by "losing myself" mean enjoyment :)  Wilkie Collins I discovered last December. I've read a handful of his this year. And really, really enjoyed most of them.

Did you learn something new because of Fall Into Reading 2010 – something about reading, about yourself, or about a topic you read about?

I've learned that short books can feel (tortuously) long at times, and that (delightful) long books can seem not quite long enough.

Wrap-up questions.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

CMash said...

Hi. Found you via My Reading Room. Am a new follower and look forward to your future postings.

Lisa notes... said...

I think I’ll add Mockingjay to my next list. Seems to be a favorite among bloggers here. I changed my list some as I went, but only added things; didn’t delete anything. Still finishing up my last two. Thanks for sharing your list.

Ruth said...

Just found your blog because of the wrap up challenge. I did it, too. Mockingjay is on my to-read list as well. I am now following you. Here's my blog if you're interested:

http://mydevotionalthoughts.blogspot.com/