Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #46

Happy Sunday! Though I'm not officially joining any reading challenges at this time, I did find a great one. Bibliophile by the Sea is hosting the "I Better Finish These Books in 2010 Challenge." It has a great banner too! I haven't mentioned reading challenges lately--the ones I have "officially" joined--for a good reason. I haven't been keeping up with them. Not really. I'd already decided not to host any challenges in 2011, but I think I might be ready to (severely) limit the ones I join. I'm trying to balance reading freedom--reading what I want, when I want, and being free to abandon books I'm not connecting with, etc.--and purposeful reading--reading by design; setting goals, making lists, etc.

What I've Reviewed:

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. 2010. Tom Doherty. 304 pages.
Miss Hargreaves. Frank Baker. 1940/2009. Bloomsbury. 336 pages.
Bellfield Hall: Or The Observations of Miss Dido Kent. Anna Dean. 2010. St. Martin's Press. 300 pages.
 Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. 2010. Scholastic. 390 pages.
The Good, The Bad, and the Barbie: A Doll's History and Her Impact On Us. Tanya Lee Stone. 2010. October 2010. Penguin. 144 pages.
We Believe in Christmas. Karen Kingsbury. Illustrated by Dan Brown. 2008. Zondervan. 40 pages.
Silent Night: A Christmas Carol is Born. Maureen Brett Hooper. Illustrated by Kasi Kubiak. 2001. Boyds Mill Press. 32 pages.
Music From Our Lord's Holy Heaven. Gathered and Sung by Gloria Jean Pinkney. Art by Jerry Pinkney, Brian Pinkney, and Myles C. Pinkney. Prelude by Troy Pinkney-Ragsdale. 2005. HarperCollins. 48 pages.
Here Comes Christmas! Caroline Jayne Church. 2010. Scholastic. 14 pages.
Hanukkah: A Counting Book. Emily Sper. 2010. Scholastic. 20 pages.
Ivy Loves to Give. Freya Blackwood. 2010. Scholastic. 24 pages.
Guess How Much I Love You. Sam McBratney. Illustrated by Anita Jeram. 1994. Candlewick Press. 32 pages.
Guess How Much I Love You: All Year Round: Four Seasons, Four Stories. Sam McBratney. Illustrated by Anita Jeram. 2010. Candlewick. 72 pages.
And I Love You. Ruth Krauss. Illustrated by Steven Kellogg. 2010. October 2010. Scholastic. 40 pages.
A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens. Illustrated by Brett Helquist. 2009. HarperCollins. 40 pages.


Coming Soon:


Desiree: The Bestselling Story of Napoleon's First Love. Annemarie Selinko. 1953/2010. Sourcebooks. 608 pages.


Ray Bradbury: Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Wendy Mass. 2004. Enslow Publishers. (Authors Teens Love Series). 104 pages.



The Nonesuch. Georgette Heyer. 1962/2009. Sourcebooks. 352 pages.


Libyrinth. Pearl North. 2009. Tor. 336 pages.

Currently Reading: 


The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James. 2007. HarperCollins. 352 pages.


East of Eden. John Steinbeck. 1952/2003. Penguin. 608 pages.


He Knew He Was Right. Anthony Trollope. 1869/2009. Oxford University Press. 992 pages.
What I'm Hoping to (Properly) Begin Soon:


I Shall Wear Midnight. Terry Pratchett. 2010. HarperCollins. 355 pages.


Forge. Laurie Halse Anderson. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 297 pages.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

BookChook said...

I read Desiree when I was at high school, ever so many years ago! And The Nonesuch is up there with my top Heyers, so I'm looking forward to reading your review. I really appreciate the way she wove a subtle pressure around Ancilla, a comedy of errors with each character adding his mite, and each mite totally in character.

Kate Coombs said...

I just reread I Shall Wear Midnight! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I chose you for the Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out!

http://www.caringforourblessings.com/2010/11/stylish-blogger-award.html