Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Wee Free Men (MG/YA)

The Wee Free Men. Terry Pratchett. 2003. HarperCollins. 400 pages.

Some things start before other things.

In The Wee Free Men, we meet Tiffany Aching, a young girl, who's just discovered that she's a witch. She can see things as they really are. When her younger brother--her pesky brother--is stolen, supposedly by a fairy queen who loves children, Tiffany is determined to rescue him no matter what. With her new friends--the feegles--they face adventure, danger, and temptation.

I think I knew it was love from the very first page. I just fell in love with the first few chapters of The Wee Free Men. I loved Miss Tick. I loved our young heroine, Tiffany Aching. Even before the introduction of Nac Mac Feegle. Before we meet Rob Anybody. Before we meet No'-as-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock. Before the journey to fairy land. Though of course, my love just grew as the novel progressed.

I loved the writing. I mean I LOVED the writing. It was so much fun to read this one! There were so many funny moments.
"Sometimes it's so hard to find half a mind when you need one." (33)

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat carefully. "Therefore I make lists. I make assessments. I write things down in a neat, firm hand with pens of two colors." (39)

At some point Ratbag the cat pushed open the door and jumped onto the bed. He was big to start with, but Ratbag flowed. He was so fat that, on any reasonably flat surface, he gradually spread out in a great puddle of fur. He hated Tiffany but would never let personal feelings get in the way of a warm place to sleep. (41)

You could read the Nac Mac Feegle like a book. And it would be a big simple book with pictures of Spot the Dog and a Big Red Ball and one or two short sentences on each page. (150)
I would definitely recommend this one! It is a great fantasy!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, yay! I adore these books. You have to read the rest -- A Hat Full of Sky is absolutely wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review, Becky - there's just so much to love, isn't there?:) L.

Shelley said...

I listened to this one a few years ago. I was delighted by it, but I've always wanted to go back and read the print copy because I think I missed some things. Then I want to read the other Tiffany Aching books.

Inside A Book said...

Agreed! It was a page-one-love-affair for me too! I now find myself looking for Terry Pratchett books everywhere.

Thanks for bringing back a great reading memory.

Cynthia McGill said...

Liked your style of writing. Interesting blog you have. I heard about the book before as well but wasn't sure whether to go for it or not but now I am definitely going to buy it.