Saturday, October 09, 2010

Readathon Update (Updated)

 Just finished reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I don't think I'm ready to review it just yet.  I think I'll go back to reading.

ETA: End of Event Survey

End of Event Meme Time. Fill out these and link up to the direct post when you’re done:
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 
I went to bed a little after midnight.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? It depends on the reader. Personally, I find dystopia the most 'compelling' for the Read-a-thon. I think I almost always recommend Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer for this event!
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
It would be nice to have a few surprises. Maybe some new memes?
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
I liked having videos in the read-a-thon hour posts.
5. How many books did you read?
Seven. Reviewed six. I didn't get We Have Always Lived in the Castle reviewed yet.
6. What were the names of the books you read?
Elizabeth, Captive Princess, Touch Blue, Inside Out, Restoring Harmony, and Fahrenheit 451 and The Road to Paris. We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
7. Which book did you enjoy most?
I enjoyed them all in very different ways. Touch Blue and The Road to Paris had similarities--starring kids from the foster care program with elements of faith/spirituality. And Inside Out, Restoring Harmony, and Fahrenheit 451 are all imagined futures. I didn't really plan to read thematically! It just happened that way! (I don't think I can make any connections between Elizabeth, Captive Princess and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.)
8. Which did you enjoy least? I enjoyed them all--though they were all very different from one another. We Have Always Lived in the Castle was a very quick read. Definitely creepy in places, but good at characterization all the same. Highlighting eccentricities. Elizabeth, Captive Princess was probably the trickiest to connect with because of all the names. But if you let that go--let go the idea that you had to *know* who all these historical figures were--then it was enjoyable enough.
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Not a cheerleader.
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Chances are I'll keep participating as a reader.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

Hour 19

DOMINATE AND DEVASTATE YOU’LL BLOW EM AWAY *CLAP* *STOMP* DEWEY READERS ARE NUMBER ONE AND WERE HERE TO STAY

Hang in there you are doing great!

Anonymous said...

So great that you're doing the Read-a-thon--congrats! I'll be interested in your review of We Have Always Lived in the Castle--it sounds so familiar, but from long ago.