Friday, January 08, 2010

Science Fiction Classics (YA)


Science Fiction Classics: Graphic Classics Volume Seventeen. Featuring Stories by Jules Verne, Stanley G. Weinbaum, E.M. Forster, H.G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Lord Dunsany. 2009. (June 2009). Eureka Productions. 144 pages. (Edited by Tom Pomplun.)

Six classic tales adapted for the graphic format. We have The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, In the Year 2889 by Jules Verne, A Martian Odyssey by Stanley G. Weinbaum, The Disintegration Machine by Arthur Conan Doyle, The Bureau d'Echange de Maux by Lord Dunsany, and The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster. Artists include Micah Farritor, Johnny Ryan, George Sellas, Roger Langridge, Brad Teare, and Ellen L. Lindner.

What did I think of this one? I loved it! Some stories I loved more than others. (My favorites would probably be War of the Worlds and The Machine Stops.) But I liked all of the stories in one way or another. I really liked getting introduced to these stories. Five of the six were completely new to me. Some of these stories I enjoyed so much I'm going to go seek out more of the authors' works. So I would definitely recommend this one. This is a perfect read for Carl's Sci-Fi Experience, and Nymeth and Chris' Graphic Novel Challenge. And I'm thinking it would even work for the Short Story Reading Challenge since five out of the six are short stories.

War of the Worlds (1898)
In The Year 2889 (1889)
A Martian Odyssey (1934)
The Disintegration Machine (1929)
The Bureau d'Echange de Maux (1915) (pdf link)
The Machine Stops (1909)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Teresa (Chrissy) said...

What an awesome collection! Will have to add this to my own TBR list. Thanks for participating in the January mini-challenge :D

Carl V. Anderson said...

What a great list of stories to have together in one volume. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am particularly interested in checking out the E.M. Forster story at some point, probably in its non-graphic format first.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky,

I think you have a very nice weblog. Your reviews are quite good.
I took particular interest in this review because I love the classics of science fiction. I have just finished reading "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells and plan to read "War of the Worlds" next.
I think more young people should read the classics don't you?

-Zac