Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #40

I love October. Mostly. One thing that I loved about this weekend was seeing all these new challenges pop up. That was just great fun for me! I haven't decided which ones I'll be joining just yet. Though a couple of them are too obvious to wait on. :)

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon is coming up soon. October 24th. Will you be participating?

Nominations are open for the Cybils. They'll remain open through October 15th.

Movies this week:
The Scarlet Pimpernel

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Tomorrow, When the War Began. John Marsden. 1993. 277 pages.
The Dead of Night by John Marsden. 1994. 278 pages.
Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty. 2009. 258 pages.
Evermore by Alyson Noel. 2009. St. Martin's Press. 306 pages.
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict
. Laurie Viera Rigler. 2007. 293 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

I Spy Fly Guy! Tedd Arnold. 2009. Scholastic. (Early Reader) 30 pages.
Archie and the Pirates. Marc Rosenthal. 2009. HarperCollins.
A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck. 2009. Penguin. 164 pages.
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. 1937. 103 pages.
The Good Humor Man. Andrew Fox. 2009. 280 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Lips Touch Three Times. Laini Taylor. Illustrations by Jim Di Bartolo. Scholastic. 272 pages.
The Jewish Husband by Lia Levi. 2009 (date of the translation) 2001 (original publication). Europa. 209 pages.
(Re)Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin. 2009. Random House. 273 pages.
A Killing Frost by John Marsden. 1995. Houghton Mifflin. 275 pages.
Vampire Kisses: The Beginning. Ellen Schreiber. 2003. 2005. 2006. HarperCollins. 562 pages.
Girl in the Arena. Lise Haines. 2009. Bloomsbury. 384 pages.
Almost Perfect. Brian Katcher. 2009. Random House. 360 pages.
Sunny Holiday by Coleen Murtagh Paratore. 2009. Scholastic. 160 pages.

What I've read and really, really need to review:

What I'm currently reading:

Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Monk by Matthew Lewis
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Graveyard for Lunatics by Ray Bradbury
Monsters And The Curse of Frankenstein by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler
A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell
Putting the Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
Going Bovine by Libba Bray

What I've abandoned:

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Paige Y. said...

Which version of the Scarlet Pimpernel?

She said...

I hope you're enjoying The Monk! Can't wait to read what you thought about it.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Dracula has always seemed to me to be a book I'd never, ever be interested in reading. Yet I hear such wonderful remarks about it.

Becky said...

Paige, The one from the 80s with Jane Seymour and Anthony Andrews.

I am enjoying it so far, though I may not read it all that timely. I've got so many books going all at once!

Debnance, It's a surprisingly good book. Meaning, like you, I had my doubts. If I wasn't dared by a friend to give it a try, I wouldn't have read it. This is a reread for me. If I can squeeze it in that is!

Paige Y. said...

That is the only version I've seen and I do love it. I had a crush on Anthony Andrews back in the 80's -- loved everything he did.

Nina said...

Oh how i love novels about the Tudors. I hope that the review of Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes will be up soon.