Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood: A Graphic Novel (MG, YA)


Lee, Tony & Sam Hart & Artur Fujita. 2009. Outlaw The Legend of Robin Hood A Graphic Novel. Candlewick Press. September 2009 Release. 160 pages.

A Moment, if you please! If you pass through Sherwood--You have to pay a price!

I don't know about you, but I love a good Robin Hood tale. And that's what this is--a good retelling of an old-fashioned, feel-good, legend. Adventure with a nice blend of history, politics, and romance. Starring Robin of Loxley (aka Robin Hood), Maid Marian, Little John, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, etc. on the righteous side, and a whole gang of evil doers to out battle and out wit.

The story may be familiar to a few readers--especially if you're familiar with the awesome Flynn film--but whether it's new-to-you or more like an old friend, I think you'll find something to appreciate in this one. It's a story of friendship and love, of the battle between good and evil, of the fight to right wrongs and distribute justice.

This is a graphic novel--as you can see. The story was written by Tony Lee. And the illustrations are by Sam Hart and Artur Fujita. I can't say much about the art--simply because I'm unqualified to do so. I feel inadequate really. I encourage you to visit Interviews in Sherwood. Allan W. Wright has interviewed Tony Lee, and that interview has three great images that will give you an idea of the illustrations.

The text worked for me. The pacing was great.

This one arrived at a time when I most needed it. I honestly don't know if I could have finished The Greatest Knight if I hadn't been motivated by Outlaw. Both are set during the same time period--the reign of King Richard, his crusades--but the books are as different as can be.

Another review: Reading Rants.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Melissa said...

OOOH! I HAVE to read this one! (I love Robin Hood these days, and this one looks good.)

Laura's Reviews said...

This sounds fantastic! I love a good Robin Hood tale . . . and I'm just discovering graphic novels.

Bethany Grace said...

Mmmmm Robin Hood plus graphic novel...yes please!

Tom said...

This sounds fantastic, thanks a lot for posting! I didn't know about this one but will defintitely check it out as its one of the best and enduring legend that history has to offer - and surely there must be a reason for that?!