Friday, September 18, 2009

Gifted: Out of Sight, Out of Mind (MG)


Kaye, Marilyn. 2009. Gifted: Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Kingfisher. 240 pages.

I'm looking through you, where did you go
I thought I knew you, what did I know
You don't look different, but you have changed
I'm looking through you, you're not the same
-- The Beatles

Sometimes I look in a mirror and there's nobody looking back. I know I have a reflection. I just don't see it. Maybe it's all in my mind. Maybe I've got bad eyesight. Or maybe it's something else.

Tracey Devon feels invisible. The older sister in a large family--a really large family--she feels invisible at home and at school. A nobody. (Her siblings are "the Devon Seven.")

Amanda Beeson is the queen of mean. The most popular girl in eighth grade. But this mean girl is mean for a very specific reason. Do you want to know her secret?

Meadowbrook Middle School--the school that both Tracey and Amanda attend--is keeping a few secrets of its own. Secrets about a handful of their students. Nine students if you include Amanda. These are "gifted" students with unique "gifts." Of course, all these students have different ways of looking at their "gifts." Some definitely feel more like curses than blessings.

What is Tracey's gift? What is Amanda's gift? Read and see for yourself in this first book in a new series.

What did I think about this one? Well, I think it is what it is. A lighthearted, fun read right for its target audience. It's a quick read. An entertaining one. Will Gifted be the most amazing read ever for adults? Not really. But that's okay. It doesn't need to be.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I like the cover, at least!

Aubrey said...

Thanks for the review, it sounds cute and sometimes I like a good easy MG read.

Melissa said...

It sounds like I would've loved this book as a kid. I'm interested in the idea of gifts being blessings and/or curses--and how differently the individuals deal with them. It's a theme, if done in all its complexity, that would resonate with many adults!