Friday, June 19, 2009

Spring Reading Thing Completed


Host: Callapidder days
Link to Challenge Sign Up
Link to Reviews Post
Challenge Dates: March 20, 2009 through June 20th

I read these books:

The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum
"It is the counting that saves him."

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
"Are you still mad?"

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
"The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face."

When the Whistle Blows by Fran Cannon Slayton
"Every time I go to jump on a steam train as it chugs its way through Rowlesburg-- Every time I throw out my hands to grab the rusty metal rungs and haul myself up onto the side of one of them black coal cars, hoisting my knees up over its churning, screeching wheels--
Every single time I jump on a train--my heart thumps even noiser in my ears than the clanking of the old iron horse I'm hopping up onto."

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
"The emails always began the same way."

Also Known As Harper by Ann Haywood Leal
"Winnie Rae Early followed ten steps behind me the entire way home from school."

Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
"I let the tips of both my swords dig into the sandy arena floor."

The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins
"When I opened my eyes I knew that nothing in my miserable life prior to that moment could possibly be as bad as what was about to happen."

Streams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci
"I sat very still, waiting for the police and ambulance to arrive."

Emil and Karl by Yankev Glatshteyn
"Karl sat on a low stool, petrified."

The Warden by Anthony Trollope
"The Rev. Septimus Harding was, a few years since, a beneficed clergyman residing in the cathedral town of -----; let us call it Barchester.

  • Did you finish reading all the books on your spring reading list? If not, why not?
No. But my list was really ambitious. I didn't list all the books I'd read this spring. Just the ones from my original list.

  • Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?

I only listed the books I read from the original list. I didn't change my list to reflect my other reading.

  • What was your favorite book that you read this spring? Least favorite? Why?
My favorite--from this list--would probably be The Warden or The Black Book of Secrets. My least favorite would be The Hourglass Door. It just didn't live up to the prologue.

  • Did you discover a new author or genre this spring? Did you love them? Not love them?

This was my first time (but not my last time!) to read Anthony Trollope! And I did love getting to know a new-to-me author. Most of the authors on this list were new to me actually except for Cassandra Clare.

  • Did you learn something new because of Spring Reading Thing 2009 — something about reading, or yourself, or a topic you read about?
I suppose you want more than learning I loved Trollope?

  • What was your favorite thing about the challenge?
I loved making the list. I loved reading the books. It's always interesting to see how well I'm able to stick to a list. :)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Debi said...

I'd say you did quite well at getting books read from your list! For whatever reason, this is one of those challenges that I always blow. Oh well, it doesn't stop me joining it again each year. Great job, Becky!

Katrina said...

Great job, Becky! And I have to say, The Black Book of Secrets sounds very intriguing. It's going on my want-to-read list, I think.

Thanks again for being part of Spring Reading Thing '09!

Carrie said...

I didn't change my list to reflect my other reading either. At any rate, sounds like you had a bit of fun.

Janet said...

This is a great list. There are some authors here that are new to me. I love Trollope -- a great discovery!