Monday, May 04, 2009

Thirsty


Anderson, M.T. 1997. Thirsty. Candlewick. 237 pages.

In the spring, there are vampires in the wind.

Is that not a great first line? It continues,

People see them scuffling along by the side of country roads. At night, they move through the empty forests. They do not wear black, of course, but things they have taken off bodies or bought on sale. The news says that they are mostly in the western part of the state, where it is lonely and rural. My father claims we have them this year because it was a mild winter, but he may be thinking of tent caterpillars.

Vampires are real, and they don't sparkle. So when our hero, Chris, begins his journey towards becoming a vampire, he's not happy about it. All he wants is for his life to go back to normal. Okay, he wishes it would be a little bit better than normal. He wishes he could get the girl, Rebecca, to notice him. To like him. He wishes he didn't stammer and act stupid around her. He wishes his friends were less weird and/or jerky. But he wants to be human.

The novel covers a few months. Months of torment for Chris as his body begins to change ever-so-gradually. Months of worry as he begins to fear what is to come. He has trouble sleeping. He's always thirsty. And water just isn't thick enough to satisfy. His reflection comes and goes. His fangs come and go. And he starts getting some really weird invites in the mail.

Is there any hope for Chris? Is there anyone who can save him from the horror his life is becoming? What choice will Chris make? Can he determine his own fate? And what led him to this place anyway? How did he become cursed?

This one is intense and exciting. It's masterfully written by an award-winning author. The style is sparse: each word counts. Except for the red-white-black cover, there is no comparison whatsoever to Twilight.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

9 comments:

Hazra said...

I like how it started out, you're right, it's a nice first line. I'm a little irritated with vampires now (it's all Bella's fault), but I may pick it up when the mood passes

Debi said...

I keep telling myself that I'm not interested in vampires, and yet I keep letting you tempt me! This really does sound good, Becky!

Becky said...

A Hazra, this may turn your mood. I was a little vampired out myself. But a no-sparkly vampire book where vampires are you know actually dangerous was fun.

Debi, I liked this one alot. It is VERY well written. You may like it. I can't promise that though :)

Paige Y. said...

This one has been on my to-read list for years and I just haven't gotten to it. I think it will be a priority for the summer.

Liviania said...

Honestly, I didn't enjoy this one.

Ms. Yingling said...

I didn't care for this one personally, but there are a lot of things to recommend it to students. I finally got a copy, and it's been a big circulator. I enjoy it because it predates Twilight!

Suey said...

I just turned this one back to the library today unread. Probably because as metioned, I may be vampired out too. Should I run back and check it out again? Oh, and the cover was totally different. I like your black and white cover better.

Zibilee said...

Great review! I think I am going to point my son to this book for his summer reading. It seems like the type of thing he would really enjoy. Thanks!

Kailana said...

I really like the sounds of this book! Especially the first line! Off to see if the library has it. :)