Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #17


Happy Sunday everyone! What have you been up to? I finished FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON this past week and APOLLO 13. I love both so very very much. Especially From the Earth to the Moon. Is it wrong that I've only been done a day or two but am already wanting to go back and revisit? It sure was nice to have something to look forward to each day. If you haven't seen this miniseries you really should. What else? Let's see, I've also watched Tale of Despereaux. That was fun. I like stories about brave little mouses. :)

For those curious about my yahoo woes, my problem seems to have resolved itself. *Hangs head in shame* I *think* I was the problem. My inbox hadn't been tidied up since the fall of 2004. So every email--including newsletters, yahoo group emails, along with the emails I'd collected during my time as a G.A grading papers (Graduate Assistant), every GoodReads friend request and book updates, not to mention all the comment notifications were sitting there in the inbox having to be loaded every day. I sorted them (without sorting) into folders by year. And since then I haven't had one little bit of trouble. I did hear back from yahoo twice (having written the emails to them before my little problem-solving brainstorm). And they didn't seem as condescending this time. Though by the time I'd heard from them, I'd already solved everything.

This past week I introduced a new feature at Becky's Book Reviews. I unveiled my "Adventures In Book Diving" scheme. If anyone wants to join me in my schemes of reading books from the farthest and deepest depths of your tbr pile, you're welcome to do so. I'm not going to make it "officially" something that needs to be hosted and rounded up each month. But if you want to join me in bookdiving, I won't turn you away. You can find graphics here and here. Neither says "one woman's quest" so they'd lend easily to others using. Both images were grabbed by google image searching. (I added the text of course.) The five books I'll be trying to read in the next week or so are:

A) Thirsty by M.T. Anderson
B) The Opposite of Music by Janet Ruth Young
C) To Catch A Mermaid by Suzanne Selfors
D) Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn
E) The Book of Time by Guillaume Prevost

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not-So Fabulous Life. Rachel Renee Russell. Aladdin. 276 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Doing It by Melvin Burgess. 2003. Henry Holt. 326 pages.
Fly On the Wall. E Lockhart. 2006. Random House. 182 pages.
Emil and Karl by Yankev Glatshteyn. 2006. Square Fish. 194 pages
Envy by Anna Godbersen. 2009. HarperCollins. 405 pages.
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar. 2002. Little Brown. 199 pages.
Between Us Baxters by Bethany Hegedus. 2009. Westside Books. 306 pages.
No Woman So Fair by Gilbert Morris. Bethany House. 350 (Adult/Christian)
Before the Season Ends. by Linore Rose Burkhard. Harvest House. 340 pages. (Adult/Christian)
King's Fool by Margaret Campbell Barnes. 1959/2009. 320 pages. (Adult/History)
The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. 2001. 524 pages. (Adult/Fantasy)

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

The Warden by Anthony Trollope. (1855) Oxford World's Classics. 294 pages.
Gone by Michael Grant. 2008. HarperCollins. 558 pages.
Running For My Life by Ann Gonzalez. 2009. Westside Books. 237 pages.
The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham. 2009. SourceBooks. 512 pages.

What I've read and really really need to review:

None this week!

What I'm currently reading:

The House of Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. 2002. Simon & Schuster. 380 pages.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

The Secret Holocaust Diaries. Nonna Bannister. 2009. 120/299

What I've abandoned:

None this week.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

12 comments:

Molly said...

Becky - can I just say that I am always astounded at the number of books you read AND review in a week. You are such an inspiration!

Sandra said...

I agree with Molly, and you keep such good records of everything too. I really need to do your Adventures in Book Diving. I bet I've got books I picked up twenty or thirty years ago and never got to. I'll have to update all my reading challenges and see if I have room for this one too. As always, you are an inspiration.

Julie said...

Looking forward to your thoughts on House of the Scorpion. I don't usually like YA lit that much but I thought this one was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I've been putting off seeeing the film of Despereaux because the book is so beautiful. Sometimes, the movies just annoy too much when the book touched my heart. Obviously, you're more open minded than I am. ;)

Carrie K. said...

My husband and I loved From the Earth to the Moon when we watched it last year!

chrisa511 said...

I just got The House of the Scorpion in the mail! How is it? I'm thinking of joining you in Adventures in Book Diving...I have SO many books that have sadly been neglected for oh so long on my shelves :( Poor books :( You never cease to amaze me with the amount you read in a week Becky!

Janssen said...

I'm SO glad you liked From the Earth to the Moon. What a terrific series!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'll be looking forward to your "Warden" review, Becky! :) L.

susan said...

Fourteen books in a week? With that kind of example, I'll never add' book reviewer' to my blog. And you work, right? Okay, one's inspiration and another's shame.

Of course, this makes your blog an incredible resource. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Can I just chime in with another agreement for Molly's comment?

I might try and book dive with some older buys I've got as well, but we'll see. I've a few set out to read as it is and I want to get to those first.

Becky said...

Thank you, Molly and Sandra. I appreciate you visiting :)

Julie, I'm liking it so far. We'll see how it goes.

Bellezza, there are a few differences (arrangement of how the story unfolds) that are different, but the heart and soul of the book is found in the movie--in my opinion.

Chris, I'm liking House of Scorpion so far. You'll probably enjoy it. I can't imagine you not :)

Janssen, yes, it was great :) It's one of those series that just amazes me.

L. I'll get to it soon, I promise. I've already begun Barchester Towers.

Susan, no, I don't work. I hope that eases everyone's awe more than a little. I couldn't imagine reading this many books and working. When blogging is your only "job" then you can get that many books read.

Thanks for visiting, libritouches. I'm happy to have you join in book diving :) (Of course that goes for Chris and Sandra too)

Liz said...

Good greif! I can't believe how much you've read. That is fabulous. My husband loves space stuff, and he loved both the space books you mentioned. In fact, I think one of my brothers got "Apollo 13" signed for him one year for christmas. He loved it. I feel like such a piker, even though I managed to read the latest Robert Parker, "Night and Day," finished a PD James for book club ("The Lighthouse," and just started a Barbara Vine book (never read her before -- it's called "The Birthday Present"). And I'm also reading a non-fiction book on understanding the economy, "The 21st Century Economy - A Beginner's Guide." (I wonder if I could call it "Economics for Dummies?") It sure lays everything out in an easy-to-understand fashion. You, too, can sound informed about such things as IMF, TARP and derivatives. And I'm only joking a little -- I finally feel like I understand what's going on -- too bad our hifalutin' economists can't do the same. Plus there's a glossary of terms and great free tips.