Saturday, April 11, 2009

One Week Away...

I've been thinking about books for the 24 Hour Read-a-thon. And I thought I would 'push' some books at you. These are titles that I think are not only good in and of themselves...but are good for the 24 Hour-Read-a-Thon.

The first author I'd like to present is Sonya Sones. She is awesome. And I highly recommend her books. Her four books include: Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy; What My Mother Doesn't Know; What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know; One Of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies. These are all verse novels. Which means you can zoom, zoom, zoom through them. If you've never read a verse novel, I'd recommend you start with Sones, she is one of the best!


The other author I'd love to recommend is Lois Lowry. Her books are better than good--they're amazing. Memorable. The four I'd like to recommend are The Giver, Number the Stars, Gossamer, and The Willoughbys. All of these are children's books which I think adults can really enjoy.


Another author I'd recommend is Margaret Peterson Haddix. If you haven't read her work, you should. Really. When I discovered her books back back in 2007, I was unstoppable. I went on a Haddix marathon. There are six books in the Shadow children series. (The First is Among the Hidden.) And she has stand-alone books as well including Running Out Of Time, Double Identity, Escape From Memory, Turnabout, Just Ella, Because of Anya, Takeoffs and Landings, and Uprising. And that's not including last year's ever-exciting, The Found. I love her books because they are intelligent and thoughtful.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

3 comments:

Molly said...

thank you for the great suggestions, Becky!

I have never heard the term "verse novel" - but I will definitely check out Sonya Sones.

I need to read The Giver for another class I am teaching, so the read-a-thon sounds like the perfect time to do that.

I have also heard wonderful reviews of the Among the Hidden books, but have not yet read a single one. I think I will see if the local library has the first in the series before Saturday.

I am very excited to participate in my first read-a-thon!!

Debi said...

Thanks Becky! I'm definitely going to check for Sonya Sones at the library...really does sound like perfect read-a-thon reading. And maybe I'll raid Annie's shelves for some Margaret Peterson Haddix...I've never read anything by her, but Annie loves her. Ooooh, and I should dig out Gossamer, which I haven't gotten around to reading either. Oh man...I can tell this pile is going to astronomical in size...

Kailana said...

I finally was getting my library holds down, but then everyone started posting read-a-thon recommendations and the list got a bit bigger... Hopefully the books are worth it! (I'm sure they will be.) :)