Friday, April 17, 2009

Jumped


Williams-Garcia, Rita. 2009. Jumped. HarperCollins. 168 pages

Zero Period. You got that right. Fail one math test and you're up before the first chirp of day. Up before street-lights turn off and sun rays shoot through the blinds. Fail one math test and you're stepping over a snow-covered homeless lump to get to the stop, shiver, and wait for the city bus to pull up to your boots. (1)

Wow. Rita Wialliams-Garcia not only had me at hello--hooked from the very first chapter--she kept amazing me time and time again. What a book this is!

Jumped is the story of three girls. Three teens who are so very different from one another. But who--on one fateful day--just happen to intersect.

Leticia. Trina. Dominique. One bully. One victim. One witness. (Note, I didn't say who was who!) The book is narrated by all three, they take turns revealing the events of one day in high school. And oh what a world of difference there is in the perspectives! It brings to mind so many questions. As each girl shares her perspective, the reader gets an inside glimpse into her life. A glimpse that reveals the inner struggles and emotional waves that each tries to hide from others--in a way.

This novel made me think, really think, and that's a good thing. I'd definitely recommend this book. It treats the subject of girl violence in a very compelling--always gripping--and authentic way.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen

8 comments:

Betty said...

I just read the book Queen Bees and Wannabes. A compelling nonfiction account of Girl World. This book sounds like a very provacative read, as well. Thanks for sharing.
~Betty

avisannschild said...

This sounds like an intriguing read. Thanks for the review!

Pop by my blog; I've given you an award!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. I just added it to my TBR list. I have always loved books that show the same event from different perspectives. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about this one - definitely on my TBR pile. I think the teens in my library will be all over this.

Debi said...

Wow, Becky. This sounds like an intense read! Definitely adding this one to the wish list...thanks!

Becky said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone, for those that havent' read it, you should :) It's intense but good. And I think it's a timely read as well.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! This book sounds like something I would really like.

susan said...

I am fan of Ms. Williams-Garcia. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for the review.