Tuesday, April 07, 2009

City of Ashes


Clare, Cassandra. 2008. City of Ashes. Simon & Schuster. 453 pages.

City of Ashes is the sequel to City of Bones. What can I say about this one? It was exciting and intense and had near-perfect pacing. The book stars Clary Fray and her friends--among those are a werewolf, a vampire, a warlock, and her fellow Shadowhunters: Jace, Alec, Isabelle. Now that the truth is out about who her parents are...and who Jace's parents are...Clary's feelings are all out of sorts. And who better to turn to than her good friend, Simon, who has been harboring feelings for her all along. But is life ever that easy? Not when you're a Shadowhunter. Not when your evil father, Valentine (boo, hiss) is on the loose. Not when he's scheming for world domination and stealing the mortal instruments. No, life is about to get super-complicated. Again. Clary and her friends have their work cut out for them. Battling demons. Protecting faeries, vampires, and werewolves. Trying to out-scheme the ultimate villain. The book has it all: danger, adventure, incredible fight sequences, romance; just one thrill after another. I like the complexity and the diversity of the characters.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

7 comments:

Serena said...

sounds like a good book.

Janssen said...

I just started reading the first one (somehow I missed the boat on this series) and I am LOVING it. I'm so anxious to get to the next books!

Anonymous said...

I just caught the note above. 75 spam comments in one hour? Insane! I'd moderate too.

Anyway, back to this post - I have got to get this series. I don't think I will have the time this year, but will start on it next year for sure. There are so many fantastic books out there!

Irish said...

I just purchased these books .... And am looking forward to reading them ... Just finished Vampire Academy and Evernight which I enjoyed ... Going through a vampire phase at the moment :) ...

Becky said...

Serena, the books really are good :)
Janssen, I can understand. In a way it's good to just be discovering this series now because you don't have to wait for the others to be published. So your timing is just right if you happen to be impatient :)
J. Kaye Hope you enjoy when you get the chance!
Irish, Have you read Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods? I haven't got to the others in the series yet. But the first book was very fun vampire fiction :)

Zibilee said...

This one sounds really good. I will have to investigate this series. I like the cover as well.

Tami said...

Great books! All three, you should really read and review the 3rd one. they are all great, and a really great ending