Sunday, April 19, 2009

Book Diving: An Introduction


So last week I got inspired--in more ways than one--and this new feature "Adventures in Book Diving" is the result. (It's okay if you want to imagine Super Grover's theme song or something of the like. That's what I heard originally. But the more I say the name, the more the "Pigs in Space" comes to mind. Can't you just hear the announcer say, "When we last left Becky she was..." Okay, that may just be me. Late at night. Being weird.) How will I book dive? Ever-so-often (I'm thinking once or twice a month unless I throw my back out) I'll be brave and go deep-box-diving. I'll go to the darkest of the dark, deepest of the deep, yes, you guessed it, I'll venture into the scary-boxes. The boxes of shame. The boxes that hold the books from years past that I never managed to review. These books will be from 2006, 2007, and 2008 primarily. (If they weren't released at that time, they will at least have been received at that time.) I'll pick a handful of books--more than two, less than five--that show great promise. These books will be given priority in my reading pile. I'll try to review at least a few a month. Here's how I'm imagining this playing out. I'll go book-diving. I'll write up a post showing off the book covers and first sentences. And then I'll read. As I review the books, I'll link to the review on the initial book-diving post. (If I can remember. Which at this point is a big if.) When I'm through with that handful--either read/reviewed or attempted/abandoned...then I'll start planning for another adventure in book-diving. As I said, I don't know how often this feature will pop up. Or if you guys are even interested. But with this feature and my other new semi-regular feature "Rescued from the Archives" I hope to show some love to older titles that may interest you.

Does this sound like fun? Or has my mushy brain lost it? What do you think? I originally thought of it last week. But I didn't think of the name/rules until tonight.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

14 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I love this idea Becky!! In fact, you should totally make this a monthly (?) meme!! It'll get all of us to read some of those books that have been neglected for far too long. Can't wait to see what your first books are!

Unknown said...

I like it. I also think the Pigs in Space reference is amazing.

Meghan said...

I think that sounds like a great idea! I'd be interested in reading reviews of older books for sure. If you think about it, quite a few of them have probably been released in paperback by now (if not then) and we won't see them anywhere else, so it would be great to see them here.

Beth Kephart said...

The answer is yes (it sounds like fun)

DesLily said...

there are way, way, way many good older books that people forget about because they are no longer talked about much.. the problem could be: are they still in print or are they going to be hard to find?? But hard to find or not.. good is good and that's the bottom line! I think this is a great idea ! (I do realize the older books you are talking about aren't "that old".. but you might consider opening this up to some of those too)

Molly said...

I LOVE this idea and would enjoy every post.

Personally, I think Pigs in Space is the better theme soundtrack :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's a really great idea! It has potential for being really fun - just think what hidden treasure you might unearth... L.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... On the one hand I really like the idea of getting around to books like that, but on the other I'd be a little concerned that you'll end up disliking the books you abandoned and picked up again for the same reasons. That wouldn't be a whole lot of fun for you... But then again, if they're books you never got around to you might be missing out on great 'new' books.

So I'm a little torn about the idea. ^-^; I really like the idea from the perspective of a reader, though. I hope that helps some at least! I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Anonymous said...

Becky, I think this sounds like GREAT fun. Makes me wish I had boxes of books so I could do this with you.

Well, almost wish because I would be so stressed out if I did.

Unknown said...

Becky, I think you're really brave for doing that! I'd be really scared to have to dig deep, although my goal for this year is to read more than I buy (so far it's not looking good, I can tell you that!).

By the way, I have an award for you. It's way below the read-a-thon posts, I'm afraid. I never got around to send out the notifications with the read-a-thon coming up way faster that I would have liked...

Jenny said...

I think its a great idea! Just because a book is 3 years old doesn't mean I don't want to hear about it!!

I even like the name. Plus, it makes me feel better about the piles of books in my house. The only boxes of books I have are waiting for a new bookshelf. I only have one bookshelf of books "to be read."
It is scary how that pile KEEPS GROWING. Scary..

Janssen said...

I think this sounds very cool! Can't wait to see what books you decide on.

Debi said...

"When we last left Becky she was..."...I love it, I love it, I love it! And I can hear that announcer's voice perfectly!

This is a fabulous idea, Becky! Though sure to be as hard on my wish list as your "rescued from the archives" (which I totally loved, btw).

Kimberly @ lectitans said...

I think it sounds fun!