Thursday, November 06, 2008

PW's Best of Children's Fiction 2008

Read the full list here.

Children's Fiction

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the Nation: Volume 2: The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson
The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall
Masterpiece by Elise Broach
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd
Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos
Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
Nation by Terry Pratchett

Other categories that may be of interest: children's picture books, children's nonfiction.

What do you think of the list? I would have made a few switches. The Underneath should be there. As should Adoration of Jenna Fox. And I could do without Bog Child altogether. I am only about sixty pages into the book, but I'm so not getting why this book is making all the lists and getting all the stars. B-O-R-I-N-G!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

The Bog Child SOUNDS boring, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Andrea -- Just One More Book!! Podcast said...

Thanks for letting us know, Becky.

I can't believe that I've read one million picture books this year and yet I've read only TWO of the selected picture books -- and neither of them left an impression on me.

I hope I don't have my children's book podcasting license revoked!!

Becky said...

Lenore--Good luck with it. I'm going to give it a few more chapters. Unless I hear from a trusted friend--aka Sarah Miller or Jen Robinson, Amanda, Charlotte, etc.--that it's worth the time and effort.

Andrea--Thanks for visiting! I agree. That's one of the reasons I didn't list the picture books. I had a similar reaction to the Amazon Editor's Best of 2008 list. Do you have any thoughts on that list?

Anonymous said...

Not worth your time...it IS boring! And hard to understand with the accents! :-)

Shelly B said...

I wish I had read some of those. They are my wish list though.

Becky said...

Of those listed, Shelburns, I'd definitely recommend Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Amanda, that's good to know. I trust your opinion. :)

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Hmm. I've just checked Bog Child out of the library. I think I'll still give it a chance.