Friday, December 28, 2007

Just letting you know....



Foxy writer is hosting the Mythopoeic Award Challenge in 2008. It lasts all twelve months. The goal is to read seven books that won the Mythopoeic Award. You can find the list of award winners here. And a list of finalists here. I'm not sure if finalists count or not. Which is why I haven't committed yet. I haven't found seven award-winners that I'm oh-so-excited-that-I'm-ready-to-commit-to yet but broadening it to finalists too, and I think I could find enough.

The challenge is to read seven books between JANUARY 1ST 2008 to DECEMBER 31ST 2008 from the list of Mythopoeic Award Winners. (See? All kinds of brilliant Fantasy books to choose from!) Here are the rules:

  1. Choose seven books from the list of Mythopoeic Award Winners.
  2. Anything on the list is fair game, fiction or non-fiction.
  3. Post a link to your list in the comments of this post (if you don’t have a website, post your list in the comments.)
  4. Somewhere in your post, link back to this challenge post. (permalink)
  5. Read the books between January 1st, 2008 and December 31st, 2008.
  6. You may start anytime in 2008, but you must finish by the end of December 31st, 2008.
  7. You may combine this challenge with other challenges.
Here is my potential list and alternates:

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (nominee, 1974)
Watership Down by Richard Adams (nominee, 1975)
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (nominee, 1983)
The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley (nominee, 1983)
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (nominee, 1985)
Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card (winner, 1988)
Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card (nominee, 1989)
Prentice Alvin by Orson Scott Card (nominee, 1990)
The Giver by Lois Lowry (nominee children's 1994)
Good Griselle by Jane Yolen (nominee children's 1995)
Young Merlin trilogy consisting of Passager, Hobby and Merlin by Jane Yolen (winner children's 1998)
Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (nominee children's 1998)
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (winner adult 1999)
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (children's nominee 1999)
Skellig by David Almond (children's nominee 2000)
Beast by Donna Jo Napoli (children's nominee 2001)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (adult nominee 2002)
The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (children's nominee 2002)
Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (children's nominee 2002)
Tithe by Holly Black (children's nominee 2003)
Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde (children's nominee 2003)
The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (children's winner, 2004)
The Abhorsen Trilogy, consisting of Sabriel, Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr, and Abhorsen, by Garth Nix (children's nominee 2005)
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (adult winner 2006)
Valiant by Holly Black (children's nominee 2006)
Corbenic by Catherine Fisher (children's winner 2007)
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (children's nominee 2007)

Those are the titles that are coming to me at the moment. But I really need to regroup and refocus to see how many of these would be eligible for the Cardathon. If OSC is recommending any of these authors and titles, then maybe I need to consider expanding my reading. One thing is clear--I want to read more--I need to read more Gaiman this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your comments are moderated or my dialup is just being wonky, but last comment didn't appear so I'm trying again. :)

Thanks for the plug, Becky! :) I've taken your advice and added the finalists to the challenge so go ahead and choose from them if you like. :)

Becky said...

Lenneth,

Thank you!!! I will definitely be joining in now that I know that finalists can count too. :)

[The comments aren't moderated. But it isn't too unusual for them to act up either. I've heard from several people in the past.]

Dewey said...

I easily see seven books I'd love to read, but no more challenges for me next year! You haven't read Seventh Son? I thought you were a huge Card fan! Or maybe you're a new fan and are hosting a Card challenge so you can read more of him? Or maybe I'm totally confused and someone else is hosting the Card challenge!

Becky said...

Dewey:

Yes, I'm hosting the Cardathon. You *could* join that one and read all Gaiman. I have read Seventh Son, but that was 2001ish or 2002ish. So it's been a while, and I haven't blogged about it. I kind of divide my life into blog and pre-blog days. So I might reread a book just for the purpose of being able to blog about it. :)

Becky