Tuesday, October 02, 2007

That'll Do, Pig.


King-Smith, Dick. Babe: The Gallant Pig.

I read Babe for the Four-Legged Friend Challenge and it is certainly suitable for the book-to-movie challenge as well, though it's not listed on my original list. I love the movie. It's become so much a part of me, that I really can't remember a time when I didn't love it. It is just so good. So quotable. So true. So perfect. It's one of those meaning-of-life, beauty-in-simplicity movies. Anyway, I could gush for hours. How does the book compare? Well, the movie will always be better in my opinion. (Rare I know.) But the book was good. The plot is less complex. There are fewer characters, fewer conflicts. There is no "Rex" just Fly. There is no Ferdinand the duck to lead Babe into trouble. There are definitely no singing mice. It's good; it's enjoyable. But you really can't get better than the movie.

Sad but true...searching YouTube for Babe...even with "pig" added does not lead to the kinds of results you might expect. I was unable to find any clips of the movie, which I feel is kind of surprising given how popular this movie is.

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

It's been SO long since I've seen this movie! I bet the book was really great. I might have to pick it up as soon as I can get a second!