Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake

The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake. (Wilcox and Griswold #1). Robin Newman. 2015. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Boys and girls, this case is about thieves on Ed's farm. The names have been changed to protect the good guys. Over 100 animals live on this farm. Most work. Some horse around. Others steal. That's where I come in. My name is Detective Wilcox. I'm a policemouse. The boss is Captain Griswold. We're MFIs, Missing Food Investigators. It's our job to investigate cases of missing food. Whatever the food, whatever the crime, we make the bad guys do the time. It was Monday morning. The captain and I were working the day shift when we got our first call.

Premise/plot: This is the first in a new early chapter book series by Robin Newman. It's a mystery series. I should add in a very FUNNY, well-crafted mystery series. In this first book, Miss Rabbit reports that her CARROT CAKE is missing. Wilcox and Griswold take the case, and the hard work begins. WHO is the thief? Can young readers solve the mystery before the big reveal?

My thoughts: I LOVE this one. I read plenty of early chapter books, and, while I appreciate many for what they do, I don't always love, love, love them for myself. I include myself in the target audience for this new series. I just adore the characters. And I LOVE the writing. Newman makes me LAUGH. My favorite line: "Truth to tell, this case was inching along slower than ketchup out of a bottle. Much slower indeed."

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: