Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I Don't Know What To Call My Cat

I Don't Know What To Call My Cat. Simon Philip. Illustrated by Ella Bailey. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I have a new cat. She turned up on my doorstep one day looking hungry. She obviously liked the dinner I gave her, because she's stayed ever since. That's fine. I like cats. There's just one problem. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CALL MY CAT.

Premise/plot: The little girl in this picture book has a big problem: she doesn't know what to call her cat. She tries many, many, many names, but none seem to fit. (For one thing, she has to give up the girl names when she finds out it's a boy.) One day her cat disappears, and, a new "pet" follows her home...from the zoo. She'll have problems with this new pet too, but, not about his name. His behavior, well, it might just call for the Bureau of Naughty Animals!!! By the end, all things are resolved happily.

My thoughts: If you're looking for a funny picture book to share with children, I'd definitely recommend this one. I love the pairing of text and illustrations. It's this pairing that gives it a just right feel--an understated yet very funny tone. For example, "I thought Kitty would be just right. 'Here, Kitty!'" Readers turn the page to see over three dozen cats have responded. The text simply reads: "It wasn't."

Steve was a fun addition to this one. He is VERY naughty indeed.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Joy Weese Moll said...

The example you gave "Here Kitty" made me laugh out loud.