Friday, March 31, 2017

Rooster Crows

The Rooster Crows. Maud and Miska Petersham. 1945. (Caldecott Medal) 64 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Here is part of America's heritage--gay verses beautifully illustrated by famous artists.

Premise/plot: The Rooster Crows is a Caldecott award-winner from the 1940s. It is a collection of poetry really. Rhymes and Jingles. Finger Games. Rope Skipping Rhymes. Counting-Out Rhymes. Games. Yankee Doodle.
I asked my mother for fifty cents
To see the elephant jump the fence.
He jumped so high
He reached the sky
And never came back till the Fourth of July.
Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was black as tar.
And everywhere that Mary went
They thought it was a b-a-a-r.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.
My thoughts: It was a pleasant enough read. Some of the illustrations were absolutely amazing. I really enjoyed looking this one through. Some rhymes were more enjoyable than others. But overall I liked it.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: