Saturday, March 19, 2016

Thoughts on Miss Potter

For Old Fashioned Charm's Period Drama Challenge, I watched Miss Potter. 

The first time I saw this--which would have been 2006 or 2007--I was disappointed. Probably for shallow enough reasons! Kill off Ewan McGregor's character, really?!?! Did I care that it was a film 'biography' of Beatrix Potter and that it almost had to follow the events of her life? Not then. I knew nothing about Beatrix Potter's private life, private tragedies. And since I was expecting a romance, I was angry when I didn't get one.

The second time was better for me. In part, because I knew what was coming. Also, I've matured a bit in ten years perhaps! And I've also learned a little bit more about Beatrix Potter's life, and, since I knew that she did find love and happiness and did marry...I was better able to 'cope.'

I'm not sure that the film will ever truly be one of my favorite period dramas. But there some lovely scenes in this one. The Christmas scenes, for example, were lovely. I also enjoyed the focus on the friendship between Beatrix and her would-be sister-in-law.

Have you seen this one? What did you think? Do you have a favorite Ewan McGregor movie? a favorite Renee Zellweger movie?

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: