Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Odds of Getting Even

The Odds of Getting Even. Sheila Turnage. 2015. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

I definitely am a fan of the Tupelo Landing middle grade mystery series by Sheila Turnage. It isn't so much the plots that I love, love, love. At best, I really like them. At worst, I just "like" them. Instead, it is the characters, the narration, the dialogue, the setting that I love, love, love. Turnage has created a whole community for readers to connect with, to love. And it is the whole community--carried over from book to book to book--that has me hooked on the series.

Mo Lobeau (the heroine) has a detective agency with two of her good friends, Dale, and Harm. They've solved a case (or two) in each book. And their work has consequences, as, readers learn in this one. The book seems to be more about the aftermath of previous cases in a way. But they are definitely ACTIVE in this book. Crimes are plentiful in town. And these sixth graders are just as active as the police detective in trying to solve them...

Would recommend the series. But be sure to read in order! This one, I think, wouldn't do as a stand-alone.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

I will have to look into this series!