Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Rector (1863)

The Rector. Margaret Oliphant. 1863. 30 pages. [Source: Bought]

The Rector is a short novella set in the town of Carlingford. Readers meet Morley Proctor, the new rector. Is he the right man for the job? Only time will tell for sure. But his own doubts grow as he gets acquainted with everyone in town, and he realizes the expectations that everyone has of him.

For example, he's expected to pay pastoral visits, to sit and comfort and counsel the sick and dying. He's partly disgusted and partly ashamed. For he hasn't a clue what to say to anyone. He's asked questions and he doesn't have a clue how to talk to people, how to minister or shepherd. He realizes that he has no idea HOW to do his job. He realizes that he's better off as a scholar, keeping his head in books, and away from the practical needs of the people.

I read Miss Marjoribanks first. I'll be reviewing that one in April. This is the first in the series. It is short and not nearly as engaging or satisfying. But I am glad I read it.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

hopeinbrazil said...

I'm glad someone else finally reviewed a book from this series. I read The Rector (which I liked) and then read Salem Chapel (which I disliked) so I gave up on the series. Maybe your review of Miss Marjoribanks will change my mind. =)

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

Interesting topic. I think there are pastors who encounter the same dynamic to this day!

Thanks for joining British Isles Friday!