Saturday, April 05, 2014

Week in Review: March 31 - April 5

From April:
Lady Thief. A.C. Gaughen. 2014. Walker Books. 304 pages. [Source: Review copy]
Switched at Birthday. Natalie Standiford. 2014. 240 pages. [Source: Review copy]
The Good Lie. Robin Brande. 2014. Ryer Publishing. [Source: Review copy]
The False Prince. Jennifer A. Nielsen. 2012. Scholastic. 342 pages. [Source: Review copy]
Sincerely Yours. A Novella Collection. Jane Kirkpatrick. Amanda Cabot. Laurie Alice Eakes. Ann Shorey. 2014. Revell. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]
Taking God At His Word. Kevin DeYoung. 2014. Crossway. 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]

From March:
William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back. (William Shakespeare's Star Wars #2) Ian Doescher. 2014. 176 pages. [Source: Library]
Firefighters by Chris Oxlade and Thea Feldman. 2014. Kingfisher. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]
In the Rainforest by Claire Llewellyn. 2014. Kingfisher. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

This week's favorite:

I definitely enjoyed the books I reviewed this week! Switched At Birthday was super fun! The False Prince is the first in what has become one of my favorite, favorite fantasy series. And Robin Brande's new book? Well worth reading! But since I have to choose just one, I'm going to go with A.C. Gaughen's The Lady Thief.

A few weeks I reviewed Scarlet. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for its premise and its potential. It wasn't a perfectly-perfect book--for me. The second book in the series just wowed me! It had so much depth, so much intensity. And the characters, well, they went from one dimensional to being oh-so-achingly human. Characterization is one of the most important things to me, and, this novel excelled way beyond what I hoped and expected. For anyone who enjoys Robin Hood stories, this one is a MUST. 

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: