Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dear America: The Winter of Red Snow

Dear America: The Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, The Winter of Red Snow, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. Kristiana Gregory. 1996/2010. Scholastic. 192 pages.

  The Winter of Red Snow is my third Dear America novel to read, and it is probably my least favorite. The Revolutionary War is not one of my favorite time periods to read about. The book is set in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, and the heroine's mother does George Washington's laundry while he's there. Readers learn a little about the hardships endured by just about everyone. Abigail and her older sister have opportunities to help the soldiers--sewing shirts, sewing coats, etc. And the father is a cobbler, so he's able to help as well. The book is rich in details, I think if I'd cared more about the time period I would have found it more interesting. 

Read The Winter of Red Snow
  • If you enjoy historical fiction
  • If you enjoy diary books
  • If you enjoy books set in Colonial America around the American Revolution

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: