Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What's On Your Nightstand

June has been a great reading month for me. I'm participating in the Victorian Celebration, and having so much fun with that. And when I haven't been reading books, well, I've been watching all the adaptations of Jane Eyre I could find! 

Here's what I'm currently reading:

After Dark, Wilkie Collins, collection of mystery short stories, 1856

The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald, children's fantasy 1883


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, classic, 1847

Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties and Roots, by J.C. Ryle (unabridged, but I like the abridged cover better) theology, 1879

Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor by R.D. Blackmore, classic, 1869

Here's what I *just* finished reading:

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, classic 1862

The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories, edited by Michael Sims, collection of mystery short stories by various writers, 2011

The Long Earth. Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, science fiction, 2012



© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up.

LOVE that cover of the short stories.

I'm trying to get my daughter to read Jane Eyre this summer. The next Mother Daughter Bookclub series book features it.

Hopewell said...

LOVE your list! Off to investigate ady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

Carrie said...

Your list is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. Those Wilkie Collins mysteries look FUN!

Mozette said...

You've read some great books. I'm currently getting my nose into 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King. It's a hard book to get into and I find it a book full of his usual horror and great adventures for the one called Roland, but I'm reading it mainly because I'm looking into reading the other Dark Tower books too. :D

bekahcubed said...

I'm impressed and somewhat intimidated by your list. I love George MacDonald--and I totally want to read J.C. Ryle someday. (Alas for someday...)

That Victorian celebration sounds fun, and challenging. I often have a hard time with challenges that involve immersing oneself in another reading world to the exclusion of others--but it appears you've done well with your immersion approach!