Sunday, April 01, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Watching The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler (2009)

I recently watched The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler, and I just LOVED it. Was it difficult to watch? Yes! Was it emotionally challenging? Yes. Were there scenes that just got to me? Yes. There were a few scenes in this one where it was almost impossible to not become an emotional wreck. (I'm thinking specifically of a scene between a father and son on a train. I seriously thought I couldn't take much more after that.) But was it worth it? Absolutely. It was tough to watch because of the content, but because of the content it was authentic. I think it is very, very important that viewers see the truth of what those war years were like. I think people need to be reminded what happened during the Holocaust. I think this movie does a great job at showing the very best and worst of humanity. The best because there were people who stood up and did something. There were people who were willing to risk their very lives to save Jews from the Nazis. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this one! I thought the acting was great. It definitely helped that it starred Goran Visnjic whom I just love and adore!!! And playing a small-but-yet-still-significant role was Ruby Bentall, whom I recognized from Lark Rise to Candleford.

Watch The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler
  • If you want to watch a really great, really compelling movie with a lot of heart
  • If you like watching historical films based on true people/true events

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Annette said...

I loved this movie as well. Watched it when it was first on television.
Thank you for the review!

Queen Mom Jen said...

Wow- I did not know about this movie. Thanks for sharing.

I just joined your blog and would love it if you came over and visited my book blog http://www.practicallyperfectprincess.com/

So glad to have found you!

Jennifer