Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bless This Mouse (MG)

Bless This Mouse. Lois Lowry. Illustrated by Eric Rohmann. 2011. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 160 pages.

Hildegarde sighed, a loud, squeaking, outraged sort of sigh, when she was informed that a new litter of mouselets had been born in the sexton's closet. Such bad timing! Such bad placement!

Bless This Mouse is such a charming book; it's completely delightful. The illustrations by Eric Rohmann just delighted me from the start. They are cute, but, they're also old-fashioned. They match the text oh-so-well.

Hildegarde is the Mouse Mistress of Saint Bartholemew's. It is her responsibility--her duty--to make sure that all the church mice are able to live together peaceably with the humans. She encourages the mice to be respectful. Not one of her mice would dare chew or nibble on a Bible. Why some of her mice even know the words to the hymns. No, her main duty is to make sure that the humans don't realize the truth--that the church is home to several hundred mice. She fears the Great X above all else.

But when some of the mice get foolish, it may just be up to Hildegarde and some of her finest, bravest, smartest friends to save the mice from the terrifying Great X.

I liked this one. I really, really liked it. It was just one of those oh-so-satisfying reads.

If you like animal fantasy, then Bless This Mouse is a must read!

Read Bless This Mouse
  • If you're a fan of Lois Lowry
  • If you're a fan of animal fantasy
  • If you're a fan of children's books
  • If you're looking for a family-friendly, faith-friendly read aloud

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Kailana said...

Somehow I missed the publication of this book. It looks cute!

Charlotte said...

I've read the other mouse books of 2011, but not this one--sounds like I should fix that! Thanks for the review.

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I've loved a lot of Lois Lowry, but I've never heard of this one! I love that the mice never chew Bibles. :)

Buried In Print said...

This sounds like a sweet story: I tend to love stories about mice, but I didn't realize that Lois Lowry had written one. I'll keep an eye out for this one.