Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Night of the Living Trekkies

Night of the Living Trekkies. Kevin David Anderson & Sam Stall. 2010. July 2010. Quirk Publishing. 256 pages.

It was late winter of 2009, and Jim Pike was in Afghanistan.

Jim Pike, our narrator and a war veteran, is working security for a Houston hotel hosting GulfCon, a Star Trek Convention. But this convention will soon be unlike any other--for the convention--and eventually Houston itself--will be overrun with zombies. Pike teams up with an assorted crew of survivors--many Trekkies--their mission is to survive long enough to escape Houston, for they fear that when help comes, it will not be a distinguishing help. It's dramatic; it's violent; it's funny.

I am not a fan of zombie novels. I'm not. I am not a big fan of violence--blood, guts, etc. But I am a Star Trek fan. And I can appreciate a good, quirky read. So while this one may not be for everyone, I enjoyed spending an afternoon with this one.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

It's Trekker. Trekker. And I may have to buy this for my best friend!

cleemckenzie said...

Trekker checking in. Can't say this cover would entice me to take the book home. Kind of grim, no?

Debi said...

My husband just read this, and enjoyed it...but he just hasn't been able to entice me to pick it up. :P

Jenny said...

I got this for Christmas, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. Glad you thought it was a good read!

BRENT said...

I really enjoyed this! The premise of a sci-fi conention being over run with zombies was really unique. I like how the authors are both sci-fi geeks who have taken their hobby and poked a bit of fun at it!