Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dovey Coe (MG)


Dovey Coe. Frances O'Roark Dowell. 2000. Simon & Schuster. 192 pages.

My name is Dovey Coe, and I reckon it don't matter if you like me or not. I'm here to lay the record straight, to let you know them folks saying I done a terrible thing are liars. I aim to prove it, too. I hated Parnell Caraway as much as the next person, but I didn't kill him.

Loved this one. Loved the way it started out too! (What do you think?! Would you want to read more after reading that first paragraph?!) Frances O'Roark Dowell has a way with words, a way with characters. And she did a wonderful job in describing the Coe family and the mountain community in which they live.

Dovey Coe does not like Parnell Caraway hanging around her sister, Caroline. Doesn't like the fact that her oh-so-beautiful sister doesn't reject him outright. Doesn't like the fact that her sister might just be reconsidering her plans. You see, Caroline wants to go to college, wants to be a teacher. But Parnell is trying to do anything and everything to make her change her mind. The pretty words he's been saying. The drives they've been taking in his car. The promises of a rich future they could have...together. But not all his words sound so pretty--some are quite ugly. Will Caroline make the right choice? And what will her choice mean for the rest of the Coe family?

This book would be perfect for the Southern Reading Challenge.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Oh, I just read this book but haven't reviewed it yet. I LOVED her voice. I even read the first couple pages out loud and I never do that just so I could hear her voice.

Amila Kanchana said...

Yes, I'd like to read more after reading the first paragraph. Thanks for letting is know about this book.