Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #1

Happy New Year! It's been a great week for blogging. So many bloggers choosing to compile their favorite-and-best lists of the year, the Cybils blog posting the finalists, etc. If you've made a best-of list, I would love to see it. If you don't have a blog, you can always mention a few must-read titles in the comments of this post! I really love to see what books get that ultimate-must-read-best-of-the-best status. Visiting all these posts makes my own wishlist grow.

Speaking of which, I've decided to keep track of blog reviews that make me want to read the book. This isn't an original idea by any means. Jen Robinson does this occasionally and there is Chris and his bad bloggers. I'm not going out intentionally looking for books to read, these are just going to be books that grab my attention when I'm out reading blogs. I'm sure it'll get updated every week. Probably every day knowing me.

What I've reviewed this week:

William S. and the Great Escape. Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Simon & Schuster. 214 pages. (MG Historical Fiction)
Lucky Breaks. Susan Patron. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 180 pages. (MG Realistic Fiction)
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. Rodman Philbrick. 2009. Scholastic. 224 pages. (MG Historical Fiction)
The Fiddler's Gun. A.S. Peterson. 2009. Rabbit Room Press. 293 pages. (MG & YA Historical Fiction)
The Crippled Lamb. By Max Lucado. Illustrated by Liz Bonham. Thomas Nelson Pub. 1994/9. 32 pages. [Christian Picture Book]
The Oak Inside the Acorn. By Max Lucado. Illustrated by George Angelini. 2006. Thomas Nelson Pub. 48 pages. [Christian Picture Book]
Too Purpley. By Jean Reidy. Illustrated by Genevieve Leloup. 2010 (January 2010) Bloomsbury USA. 32 pages. (Picture Book)
Animal Crackers Fly the Coop written and illustrated by Kevin O'Malley. (March 2010). 2010. (Picture Book)
Where Teddy Bears Come From. Mark Burgess. Illustrated by Russell Ayto. 2009. Peachtree. 32 pages. 32 pages. (Picture Book)
Ice Land by Betsy Tobin. 2008/2009. Penguin. 368 pages. (Adult Historical Fiction/Historical Fantasy)
Be Glad Your Nose Is On Your Face And Other Poems. By Jack Prelutsky. Illustrated by Brandon Dorman. 2008. HarperCollins. 208 pages. [POETRY]

What I'm Currently Reading:



Blackstone Key by Rose Melikan. Simon & Schuster. 435 pages. (Adult Historical Fiction)


The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. 1860/2005. Simon & Schuster. 784 pages. (Classic)


Under the Dome. By Stephen King. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 1088 pages. (Adult Horror/Science Fiction)


The Silent Governess. By Julie Klassen. 2010. (January 2010) Bethany House. 448 pages. (Adult Historical Fiction/Historical Romance/Christian)



First Escape by G. P. Taylor. 2008. Tyndale Publishers. 288 pages. (YA Fantasy/YA Graphic Novel)

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:


The Dog In the Wood by Monika Schroder. 2009. Boyds Mills Press. 168 pages. (MG Historical Fiction)


The Timekeeper's Moon by Joni Sensel. 2010. (March 2010) Bloomsbury USA. 352 pages. (MG/YA Fantasy)


The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. 1921/2009. Sourcebooks. 355 pages.

Movies Reviewed This Week:

My Favorite Wife (1940)
Pillow Talk (1959)
Send Me No Flowers (1964)
Lover Come Back (1961)
The Gay Divorcee (1934)

Challenges Joined This Week*:

Short Story Reading Challenge
Speculative Fiction Challenge

* With this being a new year, a thousand and one challenges have started this past week. But this list is just for those that I joined (and wrote sign-up posts) this week.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Brittanie said...

I am reading the Silent Governess too. I liked the DG Chronicles. :)

Amanda said...

That graphic novel looks awesome.

Ash said...

I desperately want to read the Silent Governess, The Black Moth, and The Woman in White. I look forward to your reviews!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You've got some great looking books there Becy. I have Under the Dome and Woman and White that will get read in 2010 sometime. Enjoy!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

The Woman In White looks really good and I have had it on my shelf for quite some time. I hope to get to it this year. I hope you enjoy it.

Jenna said...

I am so jealous that you have a copy of the Timekeepers Moon. Farwalkers Quest was one of my absolute favorites from last year. My class and I look forward to your review!

Eva said...

I LOVED The Woman in White (I plan to reread it this year), so I hope you're enjoying that one! :D