Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mary Anne Saves The Day (MG)


Mary Anne Saves The Day. Raina Telgemeier and Ann M. Martin. 2007. Scholastic. 158 pages.

The Babysitter's Club (BSC) is in BIG, BIG trouble in this third graphic novel of the series. Can "shy" and "babyish" Mary Anne save the day? Can this club survive long enough for Mary Anne's curfew to be extended to 10PM? Will she ever be able to take down the Mother Goose posters in her room? Will those braids ever go? Find out the answers to these pressing questions (and more) in Mary Anne Saves the Day.

Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, and Stacey are the founding members of the Baby Sitter's Club. But conflicts are arising. Some people (cough, cough) are being accused of being job-hogs. While others are being called out for being bossy. Where does Mary Anne fit into all of this? I had forgotten that Mary Anne can have quite the temper when provoked. I remembered her as more of the peace-maker.

Did you grow up reading The Baby Sitter's Club? Did you read them all? Or just a few? Do you have a favorite book?

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

I read every single one of these books :) How does the graphic novel version compare to the originals?

Anonymous said...

I definitely grew up reading them and loving them! I don't care how dorky they are, I'm still a fan! Claudia and Mary Anne were always my favorites...probably b/c I always played it safe like Mary Anne, but wanted to be Claudia!! I think I grew out of them around the time #105 was published, so I haven't read every single one, but close!

Becky said...

It's hard to say how the graphic novels compare to the original. I grew up reading the other. And early titles like this one had plenty of rereads. So reading the graphic novel is both strange and familiar.

Amanda, I think I gave out a bit earlier than you--probably in the seventies. But I definitely read as many as I could back then.

Kailana said...

I have the first book in this series on my TBR pile. I am curious, but also a bit worried about it.

Jeane said...

I read a lot of them when I was young, but definitely not the entire series. It's so odd to me to see different artwork for Babysitters Club, as I always associate them in my mind with the original cover artists' depictions.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Aww, a graphic novel of the Babysitter's Club! How fantastic. I think I read about 30 or so of these when I was little. And oh how I adored them..

Katie Edwards said...

I used to read these! Not in order, though, just whichever happened to be in the library or which were cheap at book fairs and jumble sales. I think Mary-Anne Saves The Day was one of about five that I actually owned. Is it the one where the kid she's babysitting is ill, and she copes and proves that she's grown-up enough to stop wearing pigtails? :D

Wendy said...

It's interesting to go back to the early books and be reminded how GOOD the series was when it started, when it was still being written by Ann M. Martin and before they started to run out of normal plotlines. I always remember Jenny getting sick, but I'd forgotten about the fight between the babysitters. How realistic and refreshing that was!