Saturday, September 19, 2009

Library Loot: Third Week in September

Once again, my impulsiveness has won out over my common sense. Look what I brought home this week.



The Life and Opinions of Tristam Shandy by Laurence Sterne
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steineck
Cup of Gold by John Steinbeck
The Acts of King Arthur And His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck

Notes: Tristam Shandy (if I get to it) would count for the 1% Well Read Challenge.
It's *almost* embarrassing how many times I've checked out Grapes of Wrath. I still have never gotten past the first chapter.
Cup of Gold is the first Steinbeck, and I think it's about pirates. So that could be fun.
The Acts of King Arthur, I don't have a solid explanation, though I am in the Arthurian challenge. So that may be why I *felt* the need to take it home with me.


Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel

Notes: Ever since watching reading The Scarlet Pimpernel, I've been wanting to read more books set during the French Revolution. I even started a fun little mini-challenge, have you heard?


2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur Clarke
Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi

Notes: I've not read any Arthur C. Clarke. So I have no idea what to expect. The Scalzi I'm looking forward to. I have checked this out before. But I found rushing into this one right after Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony a bit too much. I'm hoping now that I'll be able to click with this one since it's been a few months since my last Scalzi.


The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough
Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough
Claudius the God by Robert Graves

Notes: I've heard some dreadful, dreadful things about The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet. If that's true, then I get to blog about it. And on the off chance that it turns into a wonderful read, then I get to be contrary. I don't know why the other two came home with me other than Michelle Moran got me curious on Cleopatra (a wee bit anyway) and I've been meaning to get back to the Graves. I loved I, Claudius.


Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty
Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

Notes: I really loved the first two books in the series. But really didn't like the third. I expect it get worse before it gets better. But I have high hopes for the last book. Jennie made it sound like it was worth my time.

Leftover Loot

Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson
The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen by M.T. Anderson

Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator by Jennifer Allison

Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake by Jennifer Allison

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

See No Evil by Jamila Gavin

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund
Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove

Twilight of Avolon by Anna Elliott

We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James

The Reavers by George MacDonald Fraser

How Do I Love Thee? by Nancy Moser



Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden
The Dead of Night by John Marsden
A Killing Frost by John Marsden
What the Moon Saw by Laura Resau
Red Glass by Laura Resau
The Belgariad. Volume 1 (3-in-1 collection) David Eddings (Includes: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit)
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Graveyard for Lunatics by Ray Bradbury
The Vampire of Ropraz by Jacques Chessex
Federations. Edited by John Joseph Adams.
Fast Ships, Black Sails. Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah... well, at least you have a few to choose between... :) L.

Eva said...

I'm curious about that Arthur book by Steinbeck!

Ceri said...

Eek, I can't help but shudder when I see 'The Grapes of Wrath'. It's a great story but I had a nightmare reading that in uni - it was the bain of my life back then. hehe

She said...

Good luck with The Grapes of Wrath. I had to read it in high school. I think I got to page 75 before I put it down and decided I would rather take the horrible paper grade than read it. I've known a lot of people who've loved it though!

Marg said...

The only Steinbeck I have read is East of Eden, and I loved it. Not sure why I haven't been enticed enough to read more of his books yet.

I enjoy the Lauren Willig books as a fun escape type read! I've just borrowed Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, although I did look at the book you borrowed when I was at the library the other day. They look like very different reads though! I really also should read more McCullough.

I guess what I am trying to say is...good loot this week!