Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #31

Happy Sunday! How are you? How was your week? Can you believe it is August? Do you have any special plans for the last few weeks of the summer? I had a little bit of luck this week at the library. After waiting practically a year, I finally got my hands on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Part of it was just me being silly. I could have bought it instead of waiting impatiently for the library's copy. (They have NINE copies, and almost always all nine are checked out or on the hold shelf.) I wanted to love this one. I really wanted to love it. But I hated to buy it without having read it, you know, just in case, it ended up one big disappointment. Now I've read it...and I really, really want to buy it. I also found Lost in Austen on the shelves. This 'fractured' retelling of Pride and Prejudice was great fun for me. I didn't love, love, love every minute of it, but overall, I enjoyed it.

This week in movies:

Boomtown
I Love You Again
Double Wedding
Critic's Choice
Once Upon A Mattress
Lost in Austen
Veggie Tales: Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Noah's Umbrella
The Other Boleyn Girl

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival by Clara Kramer.
The Importance of Wings. Robin Friedman. 2009. Charlesbridge. 170 pages.
I, Lorelei. Yeardley Smith. 2009. HarperCollins. 339 pages.
Luch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute. By Jarrett J. Krosoczka. 2009. Knopf (Random House)
Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians. By Jarrett J. Krosoczka. 2009. Knopf (Random House)
100% Pure Fake: Gross Out Your Friends and Family With 25 Special Effects. by Lyn Thomas. 2009. Kids Can Press.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt. David Catrow. 2009. Scholastic.
Me and You by Genevieve Cote. 2009. Kids Can Press.
The Delicious Bug by Janet Perlman. 2009. Kids Can Press.
Offworld by Robin Parrish. Bethany House. 361 pages.
Binky The Space Cat. Ashley Spires. 2009. Kids Can Press.
The Plight of the Darcy Brothers: Pride and Prejudice Continues: A Tale of the Darcys and the Bingleys. by Marsha Altman. 2009. Sourcebooks. 359 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Knights of the Lunch Table: The Dragon Players by Frank Cammuso
Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce
Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

What I've read and really, really need to review:

What I'm currently reading:

The Navel of the World by P.J. Hoover
Montana Rose by Mary Conneally
Putting the Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton
North Or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran


What I hope to start reading soon:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
June Bug by Chris Fabry
Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia by Brandon Sanderson
The Greatest Knight: The Unsung Story of the Queen's Champion by Elizabeth Chadwick

What I've abandoned:

She by H. Rider Haggard

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You seem to get an amazing number of books read each week. Is this usual for you?!

Janssen said...

I loved The Guernsey book! So delightful!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Hmm. Everytime I'm at the library I see copies of Five Children and It and Tom's Midnight Garden. I never read them as a child, and actually, I hadn't heard of them until I was all grown-up (ha!). I keep seeing them and thinking 'maybe I should read them' and then don't pick them up. Every time. One of these days I will pick them up and read them.

Possibly after you've posted your reviews.

Book Chick City said...

You had a great July!

My month in review is HERE

:)