Sunday, July 05, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #27


Happy Sunday everyone! Did you have a good Fourth of July? I'm still on my classic-movie kick. I watched mostly good ones. I do have one never, ever watch-again film. This week I watched Pajama Game, The Thrill of It All, Operation Petticoat, Arsenic and Old Lace, Cheaper by the Dozen, The Adventures of Don Juan, and Captain Blood. Want to guess which one was my favorite? Want to guess which one just leaped onto my favorite movies ever list?



It's time to vote again for the best book-tour blogger for the recent Darkwood tour, so if you've got a minute or two...to spare...and if you think I'm deserving, go vote. The poll is in the sidebar. Thank you!


What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

To Be A Slave by Julius Lester. 1968. Penguin. 176 pages.
Loves Pursuit by Siri Mitchell. 2009. Bethany House. 329 pages.
Cashay by Margaret McMullan. 2009. Houghton Mifflin. 208 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

The Zoo I Drew by Todd H. Doodler. 2009. Random House.
God Found Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren. 2009. HarperCollins.
How To Make A Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A. by Marjorie Priceman. 2008. Random House.
Norman Rockwell: You're A Grand Old Flag. 2008. Lyrics by George M. Cohan. Art by Norman Rockwell. Simon & Schuster.
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. 2007. HarperCollins. 328 pages.
Go, Go America by Dan Yaccarino. 2008. Scholastic. 80 pages.
Greetings From the 50 States: How They Got Their Names. Sheila Keenan. 2008. 112 pages.
African Acrostics by Avis Harley. Photographs by Deborah Noyes. 2009. Candlewick Press.
Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope. 1857. 528 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr. HarperCollins. 2009. 389 pages.

What I've read and really really need to review:

Old Man's War by John Scalzi. 2005. 314 pages.
The Local News by Miriam Gershow. 2009. Spiegel & Grau. 360 pages.

What I'm currently reading:

Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival by Clara Kramer. 2009. HarperCollins. 352 pages.
A Canticle for Leibowitz. Walter M. Miller, Jr. 1959. 338 pages.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
She by H. Rider Haggard

What I hope to start reading soon:

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

all of my Library Loot.

What I've abandoned: none this week!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Paige Y. said...

Operation Petticoat and Arsenic and Old Lace are two of my all-time favorites. I crack up every time I Cary Grant says to his aunts "You can't kill people It's not nice" (or words to that effect). Now you've made me want to Netflix both of those movies!

Anonymous said...

Your fave is Capt Blood? Have you read the book? it's quite good :)

DesLily said...

oh yes, Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my favorites too! Besides the very funny Cary Grant there were many backgroud characters that were famous too!

Laura Schaefer said...

Cary Grant is my favorite! Thank you for reminding me I must scamper off and give His Girl Friday another viewing.

Jess said...

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Local News.