Monday, June 08, 2009

Musing Mondays

This week's question, "Do you have a set reading time (before bed, perhaps)? Do you read more at night or during the day? Is there a day of the week, perhaps, that you set aside to catch up on reading?"

Most of my reading is at night. I'm a night owl. That's what I do. When everyone else is asleep, I read. And read. And read. I usually start reading by 10 or 11PM. And I usually go to bed (depending on when I start) several hours later. I never go to bed before midnight. Usually I'm up to 1:30 or 2. Sometimes later if I lose complete track of time and push myself to finish a book. Meaning I can't--won't--put it down no matter how tired I'm getting. My routine is fairly simple: get in bed, read the bible for a bit, then start in on a book or two or three. I usually have more than one book going at a time.

It's harder for me to read during the day. I have a very dangerous hour. (Do you?) If I pick up a book between 6 and 7PM, I fall asleep. This is my draggiest hour of the day. If I can make it past 7 or 7:30 then I'm good for the rest of the night. There's nothing wrong with napping, I'm not saying there is. But for me, I can't nap. Not easily. I tend to wake up crankier than before. Confused and wanting breakfast. So unless I'm sick, I don't sleep much during the day. But I can (and sometimes do) read books in the early afternoon. And I'm not a morning person at all. I tend to wake up naturally between 10 and 11.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Yvette Kelly said...

I have the exact same problem between 6 and 7.I thought it was only me.I also love reading at night.The last thing on my mind is sleeping come night time which explains why I struggle to get up in the morning.I have thought about this and I think I fully relax at night because all my little chicklets are warm and safe in bed so I can totally relax with a good book.I can never get my mind to relax that fully during the day enough to enjoy a book!!

Annette said...

I read off and on during the day. I mainly read at night. I too am a night owl, rarely going to bed before MN or 1. I am not a morning person, but must be up by 8:30 (dad eats breakfast at 9.) I almost always nap in the afternoon, I am in a better humor if I nap. I read very little on the weekends, my husband is home then, he is gone all week and I want to devote time to him.